Company A commenced work immediately upon their arrival at the new camping place, at excavating the ground for the fort, and the work was afterwards prosecuted by twenty-eight men of each company of the Battalion who were relieved each fourth day. This work continued until the completion of Fort Moore was accomplished, it dedication occurring on July 4, 1847.
The flag pole from the top of which the Stars and Stripes was to fly for the first time over the City of Los Angeles, was obtained under the protection of a military escort consisting of men of the Mormon Battalion. James S. Brown, private in Company D, in his autobiography entitled Life of a Pioneer, records the following:
A Spaniard was hired to haul a liberty pole from San Bernardino Canyon, a distance of eighty miles, and as he dared not undertake the journey without military escort, Corporal Lafayette Shepherd (Company A, Mormon Battalion) and fourteen other men among whom the writer was included, were sent to protect the Spaniard and help get the pole down to the fort . . .
We hastened back to the fort with our charge, the logs in the rough being about fifty feet each, the two making a pole between ninety and ninety-five feet long when completed, which was done by the members of the Battalion at the fort.
On the 1st of July, the Liberty Pole was raised without accident.